WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Earlier Friday afternoon, Winston-Salem Police Department held a press conference to reveal the decedent's name from a death investigation earlier this week.
At around 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, September 13, police responded to the 100 block of Charleston Court after receiving a call for service in reference to a death investigation.
Police said after further investigation, and assistance from the Forsyth County Medical Examiner's Office, they have identified the deceased as 52-year-old Winston-Salem resident Kalvin Michael Smith.
Chief of Winston-Salem Police Department William Penn Jr. said cause of death is not known at this time and will not be released until a toxicology report is completed.
“Preliminary evidence discovered during the investigation suggests no foul play was involved in Mr. Smith’s death," Chief Penn said.
Police said they are conducting a criminal investigation into Mr. Smith's death after stating his body had been found in a state of decomposition.
“The body had been out for a while, so that’s why we brought in the criminal investigation division," Chief Penn said. "Anytime there is an unidentified death we’re going to investigate.”
Police said no further information will be released at this time as the criminal investigation is still ongoing.
Mr. Smith's next of kin has been notified.