WARNING: Graphic images below.
The former "The Voice" and "Steel Magnolia" star took to Instagram after she was bitten under the left eye by a brown recluse in February. Linsey says she was sleeping when she felt a stinging sensation on her face. When she woke up, she had a dead spider in her right hand which she had killed while sleeping.
Linsey states on her Instagram account she knew it had to be poisonous, so she put the spider in a bag and went to the emergency room.
In the wake of the bite, Linsey says she dealt with "excruciating nerve pain in my face, muscle spasms, full body rash, extreme swelling...etc."
The Nashville resident says she was treated by Vanderbilt doctors and also met with a specialist in South Carolina to help with the wound and effects of necrosis. Linsey provided updates of her healing process, including the use of a hyperbolic chamber, and Stratamed, a wound dressing.
Brown recluse spiders are native to Southern and Midwestern states, known for hiding in dry, warm, dark environments. Attics, crawl spaces, closets, and basements are among the places they are often found. According to the Vanderbilt Poison Center, the bites usually heal well if kept dry, clean, and left alone. However, some people -such as Linsey- can develop "systemic reactions" that require medical treatment.
The brown recluse is easily identifiable due to a violin shaped marking on the head and upper body in which the "stem" of the violin points towards the spider's abdomen. The brown recluse also has just six eyes instead of the common eight eyes found on most spiders.